Born in Caracas in 1920. He entered the Academy of Fine Arts in Caracas in 1932. During Rómulo Gallegos management as education minister in the government of Eleazar Lopez Contreras, the institution was reformed in 1936 and changed its name to the School of Visual Arts and Applied Arts of Caracas. Antonio Edmundo Monsanto and other leading painters of the generation of the Fine Arts were called to direct and integrate their teaching staff.
At that time Chile came from several teachers hired. Armando Barrios graduated in 1937. He moved to Europe in 1949 and attended the workshop of Jean Dewasne and Edgar Pillet, Paris. In this city began its transition from figurative painting to geometric abstraction. Participated in the group of dissidents.
In 1952 he performed on behalf of the architect Carlos Raúl Villanueva his murals for the University City of Caracas (Rector Square). Between 1956 and 1958 he served as director of the Museum of Fine Arts, which introduced important reforms that built the new art. Among numerous other awards has won the Arturo Michelena, in the Hall of the same name, Valencia, 1947 and the awards John Boulton, Esteban Antonio Frias, Armando Reveron and Official Prize of Painting, Officer in Venezuelan Art Salon.
In 1961 he received the Order of Andrés Bello. Major solo exhibitions: MBA, 1947 and 1948, Wildenstein Gallery, New York, 1958; Sala Mendoza Foundation, 1967 and 1970; Acquavella Gallery, 1965, 1975, 1982; Gallery Freites, 1986, 1989, 1995. In 1977 the HLG presented a retrospective of his work.