1945 Begins studies in architecture at the Università degli Studi, Rome.
1947 - 1948 Awarded a scholarship by the French government to the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris.
1960 Begins teaching at the Graduate School of Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania. Teaches there for one semester a year until 1969, while also lecturing at other universities. Begins as Assistant Professor and receives a succession of promotions during this time, including Chairman of the Fine Arts Department. Under his initiative, between 1961 and 1965, Ferber, Motherwell, Newman, Reinhardt, David Smith, and Still are invited as guest lecturers at the Graduate School of Fine Arts.
1963 Together with Savelli and a group of students, establishes the Institute of Contemporary Art at the University of Pennsylvania; the first exhibition is a Clyfford Still retrospective.
Travels through the Southwestern United States; Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado.
1964 Organizes an exhibition of works by David Smith at the Institute of Contemporary Art and together with Otto Piene, an exhibition of the Group Zero which travels to the Washington Gallery of Modern Art, Washington, D.C.
1968 Invited for a residency in Berlin at the Deutsche Akademische Austauschdienst where he stays for seven months. Makes frequent trips to East Germany and Czechoslovakia. Becomes a close friend of the Ungaretti and will illustrate three books of poetry for him, for Erker Presse, St. Gallen.
1970 No longer teaches in the United States. Makes his home in Prima Porta, near Rome.
1971 Continues to work in Rome, travels to Greece and the Middle East, as well as Senegal. These trips are particularly influential on his work.
1974 Travels to Kenya, Rhodes, and Paris
1977 Visits New York, Buffalo, Toronto, and Washington, D.C. during his exhibition at the Andrée Emmerich Gallery in New York. Fiftieth birthday celebrated in Berlin by the Galerie Springer. Visits Berlin and Dresden. A large monograph is published by the Alfieri Edizione d’Arte, Venice.
1978 Frequent visits to Paris and Zurich. Works in Todi.
1984 Guggenheim Museum, New York acquires group of large drawings and the Galleria d’Arte Moderna, Milan purchases two large paintings.
1985 - 1986 Is awarded prize of the Accademia Nazionale di San Luca
*** Biographical information provided by Achim Moeller
2002 Piero Dorazio : Watercolors and Drawings 1957 - 1962 at Achim Moeller Fine Art, New York (December 3, 2002 -January 31, 2003
2000 Piero Dorazio : Paintings of the Fifties at Achim Moeller Fine Art
1996 Galerie Biedermann Munich, Germany
1988 Galerie Biedermann Munich, Germany
1985 - 1986 Retrospective Exhibition of Drawings and Watercolors at Achim Moeller Fine Art, New York.
1980 - 1983 A retrospective exhibition of his work, is held at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, New York, from December 1979 to January 1980, traveling thereafter to Dartmouth College, Hanover, N.H. Museum of Art, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., the Chrystler Museum, Norfolk, Va. Dayton, Ohio, and Krannert Art Museum, University of Illinois, Champaign, Ill.
1981 Galerie Biedermann Munich, Germany
1979 A retrospective exhibition of his work (1947-1978) is held during the summer at the Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris. Visits Vienna, Prague, Rhodes.
1977 Galerie Biedermann Munich, Germany
1974 Galerie Biedermann Munich, Germany
1966 One-man exhibition at Erker Galerie, St. Gallen, introduced by the poet Giuseppe Ungaretti.
1960 One-man exhibition at the XXX Biennale de Paris, Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris
1959 One-man show at Galerie Springer, Berlin. Visits Berlin, Kassel, Dusseldorf, and Paris.
1957 First one-man show in Rome at the Galleria La Tartaruga. Wins First Prize “Citta di Allessandria” and prize from the Ministero della Publica Istruzione. Travels to Paris, Switzerland, Spain, and Antibes.
1954 One-man show at Rose Fried Gallery, New York.
1953 First one man exhibition at Wittenborn One-Wall Gallery, New York.
1952 - 1953 Writes La Fantasia dell’Arte nella Vita Moderna, the first book on the international tradition of modern art to be published in Italy (1955).