Gabino, Spanish (1922 - 2004)
Established Spanish sculptor and graphic artist whose work
reflects constructivist tendencies; geometry, architectonic
strength and rigor and personal expression.
Between 1958 and 1960, Gabino worked in Germany, where he left
figurative work behind him. From 1961 his work developed its
now characteristic constructivist aspects; his graphic work
incorporated collage and sculptures included burnished, gold
and silver colored metals overlayed and cut in concentric circles.
Gabino trained at Valencia´s San Carlos School of Art
and in his sculptor father´s workshop. He finished his
studies in Rome, Milan, Paris and Hamburg, and in New York with
a Ford Foundation grant.
- Venice Biennials, 1956-1966.
- Alexandria Biennial.
- I Salzburg Biennial of Christian Art.
- I New York World Art Fair.
Gabino has been awarded the following PRIZES:
- Alfons Roig Prize, Valencia, Spain, 1998.
- Godl Medal, International Print Triennial, Fredrikstand, Norway,1992.
- Schwabisch-Hall International Sculpture Prize, Germany, 1983.
- VII International Sports Biennial, Madrid, Spain,1982.
- National Printmaking prize, International Ibero-American Biennial,
- Printmaking prize, Ibizagrafic International Biennial, Ibiza,
- National Industrial Design prize, Valencia, Spain,1980.
- International Motorway Sculpture Competition, Barcelona, Spain,
- First prize, Industrial Design Competition, Madrid, 1956.
- Gran Premio en la X Milan Triennial, 1954.
- First prize, Hispano-Americana Biennial, La Habana, Cuba,
- Third medal, Exposición de Bellas Artes, Madrid, 1950.
Gabino´s work can be found in the following MUSEUMS and
- Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid.
- Museum of Spanish Contemporary Art, Seville, Spain.
- Bilbao Fine Art Musuem, Bilbao, Spain.
- Juan March Foundation, Madrid, Spain.
- Cuenca Abstract Art Museum, Cuenca, Spain.
- Brooklyn Museum, New York, US.