Harold Krisel (1920-1996) studied architecture at the Chicago Institute of Design's New Bauhaus from 1946-1949. He became a member of American Abstract Artists in 1946, and retained this membership for the duration of his life. Krisel completed his graduate studies at the Illinois Institute of Technology in 1952 He then worked as an architect at Skidmore, Owings and Merrill until 1966, when he joined the faculty of the High School of Art and Design in Manhattan where he taught architecture until his retirement in 1981.
Once retired, Krisel pursued his life long dream of dedicating himself full time to the fine arts, where he worked on commissioned sculpture, fountains, and graphics in his studio in Bridgehampton, Long Island.
His work is in the permanent collections of:
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, the Whitney Museum, the Guggenheim Museum, the Houston Museum of Fine Arts, the British Museum (London), the Bibliotheque Nationale (Paris), the Walter P. Chrysler Museum, the Philadelphia Museum of Modern Art, the Baltimore Museum of Art, the Cleveland Museum of Art, Trinity College (Dublin), the Yale University Art Gallery, and the Princeton University Library.
His work may be seen on the walls at the Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, the sculpture on Butler Circle on the Wofford College Campus, and now through a generous donation of forty prints by his estate, the permanent collection of the Spartanburg Art Museum.
In addition, an extensive collection of his designs adorn the walls of the Milliken & Company textile facilities in Spartanburg, South Carolina.