Italian sculptor, goldsmith and engraver. Born in Orciano di Pesaro, younger brother of the sculptor Arnaldo Pomodoro. Studied at the Technical Institute in Pesaro until 1951. Began in 1952-3, like his brother, to make gold and silver jewellery with graphic signs related to action painting; also to make automatic drawings and assemblages in iron and stone. First one-man exhibition at the Galleria Numero, Florence, 1954.
Moved in 1954 to Milan, where he was active in the group linked to French tachisme; co-signatory with Baj, Dangelo, Manzoni and others of the manifesto The End of Style 1957. He and his brother exhibited as jewellers at the 1956 Venice Biennale. In 1957 made assemblage sculptures out of different materials such as wood, paper and plaster, as well as reliefs and works in the round with gestural signs suggesting growth and multiplication. Began in 1958 to make sculptures by stretching fabric over a wooden structure to produce a continuous, undulating form which was afterwards cast in bronze.
Awarded the first prize for sculpture at the 1959 Paris Biennale
and a David E. Bright Prize at the 1962 Venice Biennale. From
1966 made many carvings in marble, with thicker, more slab-like
forms. Lives in Milan and at Querceta.