Born in Philadelphia in 1922, Richard Stankiewicz grew up in Detroit. He began painting and making sculpture while serving in the Navy from 1941-47. Stankiewicz studied with Hans Hofmann in New York during 1948-49, and spent 1950-51 in Paris at the schools of Leger and of Zadkine. After returning to New York, Stankiewicz joined the artists' cooperative Hansa Gallery, organized by former students of Hans Hofmann. It was there that Stankiewicz exhibited his work during the 1950s, before moving to the Stable Gallery in 1959.
In 1962 he moved out of New York City to Huntington, Massachusetts. Stankiewicz continued to make sculpture and to be exhibited internationally until his death in 1983. Sculptures by Richard Stankiewicz are included in major museum and private collections throughout the world. Zabriskie Gallery has represented the work of Richard Stankiewicz since 1972, and is the exclusive representative of the artist's estate.