Massimo Vitali, Italian (1944 - )
Bio – Bibliography
Massimo Vitali, born in Como, Italy, in 1944, after liceo, takes a course in photography at the London College of Printing.
In the early sixties starts a career in photojournalism collaborating with many magazines and agencies in Italy and in Europe.
The meeting with Simon Guttmann founder of the agency Report is fundamental for his growth as a concerned photographer.
At the beginning on the eighties a growing mistrust in the absolute capacity of photography in reproducing the subtleties of reality leads him to develop a new activity as cinematographer in the world of fiction and advertising.
But the relationship with the still camera never ceased and over the past ten years he has developed a new approach in portraying the world: photography seen as an expression of contemporary art.
Since 1995 has started the beach serie.
Lives and works in Lucca, Italy
1995 Begins the Beaches serie
1993 Starts working on large format photography
1989 Director of Photography in Fiction and Advertising movies
1979 Free-lance photo-journalist
1964 London College of Printing, England, Photography
1961 Liceo, Milano, Italy
1944 Born in Como
Massimo Vitali's pictures are present in the following collections:
- Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid (E)
- C.ARTE PRATO, Coll.Permanente (I)
- The Guggenheim, New York (USA)
- Musac, Museo de Arte contemporaneo de Castilla y Leon (E)
- Belgacom, Bruxelles (B)
- Fondazione Sandretto Rebaudengo,Guarene, Torino (I)
- Payne Webber (USA)
- Metropolitan Bank Trust Photo.Collection, Chicago USA
- MMK Frankfurt am Main, Sammlung E-On, Duesseldorf (D)
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Denver (USA)
- Agnes b., Paris (F)
- Fond National Art Contemporaine, Paris (F)
- Coll. Arts Plastiques, Charleroi (B)
- Fondation Cartier, Paris (F)
- Fortis Bank (D)
- FRAC Alsace (F)
- Stedelijk Museum (NL)
- ABN Amro (NL)
- Arken Museum (Dk)
- Akzo Nobel
- Centre Pompidou – Musée National d’Art Moderne (F)
- Neue Galerie der Stadt Linz (A)
- UBS-SBV, Italia-Switzerland
- SAMUEL P. HARN MUSEUM OF ART. Miami (USA)
- HYPO Bank (D)
- Autostadt Wolfsburg - Volkswagen Coll. (D)
- Elton John, Atlanta (USA)
- Vacances Bleues, Paris (F)
- Ella Fontanals Cisneros Collection (USA)
- Essl Sammlung, Austria (A)
Back to Artists Wanted Page